Wednesday, April 18

lord hear our prayer

The following is excerpted from a phone conversation earlier today with Pastor William Sutton, Calvary Baptist Temple. We called him, but he quickly found our G(od) spot, a vulnerable hit after all.

WS: “Are you yourself a Christian?”
RM Chronicle: I was raised Catholic.

WS: “Okay, do you know that you’re going to go to heaven when you die, or do you hope so, or think so?”
RMC: I hope so

WS: “If you knocked on heaven’s door and Jesus said, ‘Why should I let you in?’ what would you tell him?”
RMC: I tried to live the kind of life that he talked about while he was on earth.

WS: “I think there are a lot of Americans that have that same position, but consider this: If we could do enough good works to get to heaven, then Jesus wouldn’t have had to die the kind of death that he died… Everything that Jesus did as far as his teachings and as far as his miracles could have been done from heaven, except he couldn’t die and raise again.”
RMC: Well, I’ll have to continue to reflect on and pray about that.

WS: “Okay, and give us a call if we can help you or come by and visit sometime.”

No comments: